The Paris Seamstress
For readers of Lilac Girls and The Nightingale comes a World War II novel that spans generations, crosses oceans, and proves just how much two young women are willing to sacrifice for love and family.
‘The Paris Seamstress is a gorgeously rich and romantic novel about young women finding their way in the world.’Kate Forsyth, author of Bitter Greens
1940. Parisian seamstress Estella Bissette is forced to flee France as the Germans advance. She is bound for Manhattan with a few francs, one suitcase, her sewing machine and a dream: to have her own atelier.
2015. Australian curator Fabienne Bissette journeys to the annual Met Gala for an exhibition of her beloved grandmother’s work – one of the world’s leading designers of ready-to-wear. But as Fabienne learns more about her grandmother’s past, she uncovers a story of tragedy, heartbreak and secrets – and the sacrifices made for love.
Crossing generations, society’s boundaries and international turmoil, THE PARIS SEAMSTRESS is the beguiling, transporting story of the special relationship between a grandmother and her granddaughter as they attempt to heal the heartache of the past.
- ‘[Lester’s] engaging writing style and ability to create characters that connect with readers make her a welcome addition to the historical fiction market.’ HERALD SUN
- ‘Will have you enchanted.’ WOMAN’S DAY
- ‘It’s the emotional power in her writing that makes everything seem real, the love, the courage, the friendships, the drama and the romances. Lester has woven a fine, original story of everlasting quality.’ BETTER READING
- ‘Meticulously researched … the perfect blend of accessibility and literary prowess.’ GOOD READING
- ‘Stunning. Will have you captivated’ LIZ BYRSKI
- ‘Fascinating, evocative and meticulously researched.’ ANNABEL ABBS, author of The Joyce Girl
- ‘If you’re mad about the roaring twenties and all things Gatsby, this romance will have you enchanted’ Woman’s Day
- ‘At the novel’s heart is the sparkling Evie, an endearing combination of intelligence, determination and naivety’ West Australian
Buy the book
Select your region below
Australia & New Zealand
The Paris Seamstress is available now from all good bookshops in ebook, paperback and audiobook formats. You can find it at Big W, Kmart, Target, Dymocks and your local independent bookshop. Or you can use the links below to buy now:
United Kingdom (UK)
The ebook and paperback of The Paris Seamstress will be available in the US from 18 September, 2018.